The Galley on site is called 'Aileach'
Aileach was named after a Scottish princess who crossed the sea about 1500 years ago to marry an Irish King. A stone fortress overlooking Lough Foyle in Ireland still bears her name. The marriage symbolises the ancient links between the coasts of Ireland and Scotland.
The galley was designed by Colin Mudie, built in 1991 by James Mcdonald & Sons. She is 40ft in length, has a 10ft Beam, a 2ft Draught and weighs 3.5 tonnes. The keel and frame are made of oak, the planking is larch. Each year the Galley is coated with 15 coats of a traditional mix of Stockholm tar, linseed oil and turpentine to preserve the wood.
Throughout 2004 Aileach was on show to all outside the Wide Mouthed Frog restaurant (pictured here). Repairs and refurbishment have taken place since then and Aileach is now stored in the boatyard. Over the years Aileach has been used in several films and historical documentaries about life in the Isles and Highlands. But because of today’s safety requirements for vessels going to sea with passengers aboard, Aileach has been retired from service.